Eye Drops: Tips and Tricks!
If you’re fearful of using eye drops, know you’re not alone! Chances are that you might be putting in the drops incorrectly! Holding the bottle directly above your eye and then watching the drop as it falls slowly toward your eye is possibly the hardest way to do this. Plus, you might balk at the last moment, causing the drop to land somewhere else on your face. Try this method instead, and it should make using eye drops much more pleasant!
- Always wash your hands before using any eye drops.
- Find a convenient position- most people prefer either lying down or sitting in a chair.
- Tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling. Make sure your face is parallel to the ceiling!
**It will be a lot easier to focus on a spot on the ceiling than the tip of the bottle!**
- Touch your cheekbone to gently pull down the lower eye lid- this will create a pocket for the drop to fall in.
- Take the bottle in your dominant hand and hold it up so the tip is aiming toward the inner corner of your eye. Be sure to hold the bottle at least 1 inch away from your eye!
- Squeeze the bottle, allowing only one drop to fall into the pocket.
- Gently close your eyes for 30 seconds to let the drop absorb, then you’re all done!
Here are a few more useful tips!:
- If your hands are shaky, rest your wrist on your cheek to steady it.
- Be sure not to blink your eyes repeatedly after you put a drop in. This will cause the eye drop to be blinked out. We don’t want the drop to go to waste!